Urethane Brake Lights

August 23, 2018 lights

  With the skate deck seat pan finished and installed I found inspiration with the taillights. I wanted something to also reflect the skate influence of this bike and wanted to use any other parts I could think of in clever ways. Although I liked how my plate relocation had worked out, the brake light itself was not as bright as I had hoped. Plus I wanted a better location for drivers to see.  I decided to create brake lightsRead More

Vapor Gauge Install

August 23, 2018 modifications

  With the removal of the OEM gauges, front fairings and dash simplification…  I wanted a minimal display for speed, RPM’s, miles, engine temp and clock. Initially I looked at analog gauges as I really liked that look but had difficulty finding ones that I knew would be compatible with my speedo drive ratio and signal for RPM’s. Searching further I found many “all in one” slick units that used GPS for speed and looked amazing… but the price wasRead More

Coolant Reservoir Upgrade

August 23, 2018 modifications

  Decided to drop the uninspired look of the factory plastic coolant overflow tank with a custom steel one. Purely a cosmetic choice but took a few steps to complete. First I had to figure out the capacity of the stock tank and what lines would be required. By filling and then emptying the tank I learned there was 475 ML at the full mark. Ebay has lots of oil catch cans of varying sizes, shapes and colors… so foundRead More

Seat Sub Frame Rework (Step One)

July 9, 2018 fabrication

  Changing the shape of the seat was one thing, but creating a new sub-frame to match was entirely another. Not only did I have to get the angles right, but also allow for placement of the skate deck, have a place for electronics such as various relays, junction and fuse box. I also need to create mounting points for the new key and headlight switch as well as turn signal mounting points. My idea was to add on toRead More

Ignition and Starter Switch Relocation

June 23, 2018 modifications

  With the simplification of the dash I wanted to find a new spot for the keyed ignition switch as well as starter button. I decided under the seat made the best sense… but now I had to figure out a way to achieve this relocation. The factory switch is bulky with several positions (lock, off, on, park). It also has a built in fork lock mechanism that obviously can only engage when mounted in the original spot on theRead More

Fuel Gauge Delete

June 13, 2018 modifications

  A smaller dash cluster means things have to be deleted. Maybe “have to” is not the best term to use. Part of my overall goal with this project is simplification, so the elimination of anything extra is a big plus. But if I can save the functionality along the way, then that’s a perfect modification.  Knowing how much fuel is left on a long ride is a big help. Most riders just use the reserve tank as an indicatorRead More

Dash Simplification

May 27, 2018 modifications

  No windshield. No fairing. Nothing extra. Far from the factory ZZR mindset. The goal was to reduce the gauge cluster to the smallest footprint while maintaining as much functionality as possible. I wanted to know speed, RPM, engine temp, high beam, neutral, oil and a few other indications. The original dash also had a fuel gauge and clock. I’d rather forget the time while riding, so that was an easy delete. But getting a warning on the gas IRead More

Headlight Installation

May 26, 2018 lights

  I knew I wanted to simplify the front end in regards to lighting, so I started to look for options. I quickly settled on a stand alone round headlight style with brackets mounted to the upper fork stanchions. This would allow me to set the proper height to hopefully match the lines of the tank and bike overall. Now I just had to find one within my budget that would be the correct size and proportion. The first optionRead More

Four Into Two Becomes Four Into One

January 29, 2018 exhaust

  The philosophy of this build is to minimize and simplify where I can. The exhaust seemed like a perfect place to apply these ideals. With two massive factory mufflers hanging off each side, I was looking forward to cleaning up the bike and dropping some serious weight at the same time. In theory, less restriction might also increase horsepower, but with no intent of really getting the bike dyno’d, any gains felt would just be by the seat ofRead More

Battery Relocation (Step Two)

January 28, 2018 battery

I don’t own a welder. Then again, it wouldn’t matter if I did or not, as I can’t really weld. Sure, I can lay down a bead and hold two pieces of steel together, but it is not going to be pretty. While fabricating anything, let alone a custom motorbike without this basic tool or skill probably seems like a bad idea… it also forces me to be more creative within my limitations. So, I grabbed some metal, bolts, nuts,Read More