With the skate deck seat pan finished and installed I found inspiration with the taillights. I wanted something to also reflect the skate influence of this bike and wanted to use any other parts I could think of in clever ways. Although I liked how my plate relocation had worked out, the brake light itself was not as bright as I had hoped. Plus I wanted a better location for drivers to see. I decided to create brake lights from a set of skateboard wheels. Now I just had to figure out how.
All skate bearings are the same OD, I just had to find a bright red LED light that would fit inside. From there, I had to figure out a way to secure the wheels to the bike. I came across some 18mm LED’s with a threaded shaft for mounting. I then took a 54mm wheel to the metal shop until I found some tubing that had a similar ID. The metal shop guy was very curious as to my project and was probably more excited digging through the scrap bin than I was to find what I needed. Turned out he was really into skating and was super stoked. Now I just had to put it all together…
The wheels fit snug but not tight enough to be secure. So I tapped and drilled a couple set screws into the tubing. These would bite into the urethane and all but disappear once complete.
I debated whether to bolt or weld the brake light assembly in place. Seeing that the housing would allow the wheels and lights to be removed at any time… I decided to weld it on to the back of the seat rail.
I threaded the LED’s into the wheel cores and then placed the wheels. After tightening down the set screws everything was solid. A few test squeezes of the brake lever and I was very impressed with how bright these urethane brake lights were. Easily could have gotten away with one, but the dual configuration looks better with the width of the rear tire and bulk of the bike.