Seat Sub Frame Rework (Step Two)

August 23, 2018 Uncategorized

 

I was finally going to get to the unique part of this bike I had envisioned months ago. During the late 80’s skateboarding became my passion. In fact, it became my religion. Everything my world revolved around was maple, urethane, concrete and pavement. When I started getting inspired online with everyone’s cafe style builds I noticed that the up-curved seat on the most simple bikes I admired reminded me a lot of the tail of a skate deck. I decided if I ever got around to building my own bike I would try and combine my passion for skating with that of two wheels.

First thing I did was scroll through infinite board graphics and shapes to try and find one that would fit. The problem was very few decks listed the actual degree of the tail, and very few seat rail companies listed the angle of their tail section either. So, I took a guess and got pretty close in both width and angle. I bought two exact decks in case I needed them both or made a mistake. Good thing I did… for the latter eventually¬† became true.

Mounting was straightforward enough. I had modified the new rear end seat support to fit the deck. The hard part was cutting the nose of this brand new deck. Sacrilege in every sense of the word… but I convicted myself it was for the greater good.

 

Chopped and mounted…

 

Cutting it also turned out to be the relatively easy part. I now had to find a way to route the turn signal and brake wiring, mount the fuse block, controller, various relays as well as attach the seat. Luckily the automobile world came to the rescue with a “Quick Latch”. I purchased the 32mm diameter version, drilled a spot and bolted it on.

 

The Quick Latch system…

 

Quick Latch button from underneath…

 

I was surprised to see I would actually have a fair amount of room for the remaining electronics I had to fit. With the battery relocated to the front of the bike, the rear end would be clean and simple… which is the look I was trying to attain with such a complex motorcycle.

 

Electric test fit…

 

It was at this point I realized a few of my cuts and holes were off… and I switched to deck number two (blue maple top). This was a fairly painless step and most of the dimensions where already figured out and easily transferred.

 

Deck two redo…

 

I mounted the controller and fuse block and began to clamp down the wiring for rear lights as well as find locations to secure the relays.

 

Indicator and brake wiring…

 

Front half getting organized…

 

Moving the harness and securing it under the tank was next. There was a fair bit of space under there. I also had to connect the low fuel sensor wires and fuel line but it was good to realize that the tank was going to mount easily and the wiring was all going to be tucked away nicely.

 

Tank back in place…

 

Seat mounted and cleared the components. Tail end was in effect done and really got the look I had envisioned in my head months earlier.  Skate or die!!

 

Seven ply seat pan tail…

 

Extra deck detail at the tank…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *