Coolant Reservoir Upgrade

August 23, 2018 modifications

 

Decided to drop the uninspired look of the factory plastic coolant overflow tank with a custom steel one. Purely a cosmetic choice but took a few steps to complete. First I had to figure out the capacity of the stock tank and what lines would be required. By filling and then emptying the tank I learned there was 475 ML at the full mark. Ebay has lots of oil catch cans of varying sizes, shapes and colors… so found one in a 600ml size that had fittings I could use for the two lines.

 

Size and dimensions…

 

I didn’t want the fluid level hose gauge so I plugged those holes. I needed to find a way to mount the tank to the frame, which is welded with 36mm diameter tubing. I cam across these UTV light mount brackets for 1.5″ tubing and figured that might be close enough.

 

Complete light brackets…

 

I discarded the light mount bracket and installed the clamp through two new holes in the tank, sealing the bolt heads with rubber washers.

 

New tank clamp…

 

Finished product looked like this. Of note is the tank pictured is a cylindrical version I tried to use at first before realizing the capacity and line connections were not going to be what I needed. But it shows how I pieced everything together pretty well.

 

Tank with clamps attached…

 

From there I mounted the tank on the left side of the frame, which is opposite from the factory location. The feeder line from the radiator stem goes to the bottom of the tank, while the pressure release line is only attached to the top of the tank. To fill, I unscrew the top cap and just pour in coolant. Initial testing seems to show this tank works well and adds a custom touch to the bike that I feel matches the overall look I am going for.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *