Seat Sub Frame Rework (Step One)

July 9, 2018 fabrication

 

Changing the shape of the seat was one thing, but creating a new sub-frame to match was entirely another. Not only did I have to get the angles right, but also allow for placement of the skate deck, have a place for electronics such as various relays, junction and fuse box. I also need to create mounting points for the new key and headlight switch as well as turn signal mounting points. My idea was to add on to the OEM sub-frame in order to keep mounting tabs and overall alignment pretty close.

 

Stock sub-frame…

 

I began by cutting and grinding off all the extra tabs. I took about eight inches off the rear and removed anything extra. From there I began to play with a couple of Cafe Racer seat hoops I had found on Ebay. One was bent which would match the tail of my skate deck pretty close, and the other was flat and which I hoped would allow me to extend the width of the arc to somewhat match the wider factory ZZR seat.

This was a brutal process for me. Frustrating in every way. My welding was horrific, although improving with each “bead” I laid down. Cutting and grinding was challenging. Notching the tubes to all fit together was an exercise in patience. I had to accept the fact that the precision I wanted might not be possible considering most of the work was begin done on a outdoor patio and dirt parking lot at my apartment. My pipe bender? Sliding the tubing I had purchased into my trucks empty receiver hitch and using leverage. It was ridiculous and well beyond shade tree fabrication. This said, I began to create something that was starting to work.

 

Hoops in place…

 

I then cut off the remaining tail pieces, added turn signal mounting tabs as well as spots for the key and headlight switch. With new starter switch already on the right side of the frame, I would place the key switch just behind that. The headlight switch would be mounted to the left side of the bike. Both of these would be placed within the factory gussets on the original sub-frame.  The plan for a taillight was to use a combination license plate holder mounted off the swingarm. But I would leave wiring in the new seat sub frame for possibly adding additional brake lights in the future.

 

Getting closer…

 

Painted and ready for install…

 

Bolted on and waiting for wiring…

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *